I’m all about coconut oil and homemade dog shampoo at the moment, which may sound like a weird combination but coconut oil has some really great benefits for dogs, and hey, homemade dog shampoo is just generally a cheaper alternative to store bought shampoo and has way fewer nasties inside!
My little fascination started when I was on the search for a home remedy for my dry, fragile hair. The discovery of the benifits of Coconut Oil for human hair (which has been seriously trending in the beauty world in the last couple of years) very quickly turned into a new ingredient for my dog shampoo recipes.
Our Jack Russell in particular suffers from dry and itchy skin, which really irritates him during certain seasons, and the addition of coconut oil has been great for soothing his skin, and adding an extra moisturising quality for our Spaniel too!
If you are looking for something with intense moisturising qualities, you may also like to give the Rosemary and Oatmeal Dog Shampoo Recipe a go!
What you will need:
- ¼ cup of coconut milk (fresh or store bought is fine)
- ½ tablespoon of coconut oil, melted to a liquid
- 1/3 cup of natural, gental baby shampoo (I used GAIA Natural Baby Shampoo, and have seen that Dr Bronner’s Castile Soap is a popular alternative in America)
- ½ cup of white vinegar
- ½ cup of grated coconut (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil until is becomes a liquid
- Measure out the coconut milk, baby shampoo and white vinegar
- Mix all liquid ingredients together
- Grate half a cup of coconut and add to the mix (to act as a gentle exfoliant)
- Pour into storage jars, and wash pups when ready!
It’s that easy! I stored this recipe in the fridge for a week to see how it kept, and aside from the oil seperating from the other ingredients, it kept really well, so I would say you could make it bulk if you wanted to. You just need to mix it back up before use!
Be sure to provide your recommendations for homemade shampoo’s in the comments, I’m always on the look out for alternatives to store bought products!